Friday, August 24, 2012

A checklist changed everything

Before I knew it he was almost 20 mo old and the dreaded visit to the pediatrician was due. I, of course, delayed it for a whole month. Again, I just didn't want to hear "your son is delayed" duhhh I have four kids and I know most babies talk by now and point and clap and they don't constantly flap their ears!

I took him. It was worse than I thought. The first thing I heard was "why isn't he uptodate on his vaccines?" I gave the same answers I usually did, my daughter had a severe reaction that led to convulsions and from that point on my family had been VAX free, he wasn't happy and even though I had been seeing him(and other Dr.s in his office) since my oldest was a baby (14yrs now) he seemed surprised and kinda snippy at my decision. He proceeded to tell me that the whooping cough was rampant and it could kill my child and I felt attacked so guess what I freaking gave in! ONE freaking shot of poison into my baby. I don't know why I did it other than that I was scared of the whooping cough. Well after the shot, the dr came in and read me a check list with yes or no answers, I answered it and he said Hmmmm, "does he always flap His ears like that?" and I was like..yup he sure does. And then the coward left the room. He never came back. He sent his medical asst in with a stack of papers for me to read. I gathered my stuff and got to my car and shuffled through the papers. They were all about Early Intervention and Autism. I did what I do best lately, I cried and cried some more, cleaned my face and headed to the closest store and got me a cookie and jojo a toy.

When I got home it was like a bad dream. I felt like a zombie for a few days. I didn't tell anyone except the hubby and then I started reading.  when I say reading I mean I would get a book and finish it that night.  My first read was Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy.  Oh I cried and I hyperventilated and then I rejoiced in the hope she instilled in me.  I then went on to read every book I could, even the weird ones from the early 80s that seemed more kooky than anything.
I quickly figured out after reading a few books that it's going to take some hard work and dedication but there is hope. My jojo eventually will talk and interact. He just requires some special attention right now. And a special diet. I already knew he was milk protein intolerant and had sensitivities to alot of foods but now we would be going gluten/sugar less.  Jojo didn't seem to notice or mind.  My older cuties sure did, ummm where the poptarts mom?  ha, we are a family so it has to be all or none, right?  Ok ok I gave in and they get little treats here and there, mostly homemade so I can limit the sugar and eliminate additives.

On May 15, 2012 the early intervention began, services in home for developmental skills, fine motor, communication, and speech.

Here we go baby, you, and I hand in hand and binky in check!!

This is Jojo and Grampa Joe.  4 weeks into therapy and he is sitting more attentively and interacting, sure he still flaps and hits us at random, but every smile speaks tons to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment