Sunday, August 12, 2012

My brother IS different, who cares!

Having a brother or sister with autism is a really hard thing for kids to understand.  Not only is there a new sibling to get used to but there now is this new thing that mom is worried about.  I had a huge reality check the other day.  I was at my local library with the older kids and I always go to the health section to see if I can find any new reads on Autism, well one caught my eye right away.  Its called, "My Brother Is Different." Its written By Barbara Morvay and I freaking love this book!  I read it the night I got it and was so super excited to share it with the kids.  The book is a three part read.  The first part is directed to parents only.  It explains the basics of the book and a small informative section on Autism its self.  The second part is a story of a big brother and little brother.  The little guy has Autism, the big brother is affected by all of it.  He goes on to explain that he feels left out (HELLO, my kids I am SURE feel the same) he feels like he could catch Autism from his brother(how scary) he feels like his mom is always stressed and his dad looks worried.  Oh this hit home three times over.

  Each one of my awesome kiddos needs me.  My teen is a freshman and that's a tough transition and I have to be there for the ups n downs that it brings.  My sweet 9 yr old son is the quiet one who sometimes tries to be too quiet so I don't have to worry about him.  Then my cutie pie daughter, who is 8, tries so hard to help.  At the end of the day, they all need me and Jojo needs ALL of us to be happy together.  I really learned alot from this book and how I can make sure I am taking in to consideration ALL of my kids and family.  Its hard to not always focus on my lil guy, but now I am learning balance.

FROM: My Brother Is Different
 
On a daily basis, families are trying to cope and are bombarded with information.  Yet, there isn’t much out there about the normal child in the household, the child witnessing the family in crisis.
 
This book is NOT about the Autistic child; it offers no theories or magic pills.  Rather, it is a recipe to help families cope with the overwhelming feelings, fears, and everyday life as experienced by their normal child. It will assist the parent with acknowledging fundamental yet painful truths while assisting their normal child cope with the life he or she lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment