Monday, November 19, 2012

Autism does speak, for real!!

Today I had the most amazing experience. It all started last night. I had a "jojo needs to find his niche" night and I started think about something to get him to try, again! He doesn't show interest in anything but wheels. He loves to touch my tires on the cars and loves to be eye level with the tires on our Tahoe. So I of course bought every wheeled toy I could find. Dad even wants to mount a steering wheel on my wall. So I thought about a train set my older son had called GeoTrax. It was super cool and very durable, could most definitely withstand the fits of a toddler! So I rummaged though our old toy storage and came across a few pieces of Trax and one train.

This wasn't enough to really do much with so I googled and found out they are discontinued as of 2010, Nooooo! This was just more motivating for me and I turned to online swaps and Craigslist. I found a few but they were pricey because of the status of discontinued. I replied to a few ads letting them know my situation and I had one sweet reply this morning. "We have a special spot for autism in our hearts, we would love to sell you our set at half off" I thought, score!!! Went about my day and convinced my hubby that this would be it, jojos niche I just know it! He just went along with my decision and I left just before dinner to get my hands on those GeoTrax, I just had to have them!!
>>>>>>>Grab your Kleenex<<<<<<<<
I pulled up and immediately noticed a cool zip-line going from the two huge trees out front of this gorgeous home. I was greeted by a nice man with a firm handshake. He showed me the trains and I could feel his sadness. He started talking about how much fun his son had with the set and that it was the perfect niche for him. His son had autism. He then blurted out that his son was tragically killed in a car related accident. He and his sweet wife shared a heart warming story with me and reassured me that their beautiful boy Quinn would be very pleased to have his set go to another boy dealing with autism and that by them sharing it helped them too. I was so overwhelmed with emotion. I politely accepted the trains and after exchanging info to keep in touch I hugged them both tight. I could feel the gratitude they felt in helping my boy and I hope they could feel the appreciation and love I felt in that moment.

I learned a lot because of this experience. The sweet blessings of life are sometimes disguised in such away that you really have to take a minute and let gods loving way show you the good. Sometimes a blessing is both ways. Yes I was blessed by getting a great tool/toy for my son to try out at a great price. But the kind family also was blessed, they received a blessing of comfort. Comfort in knowing their precious boys prized collection is in good hands and will live on in great memories to be made. Fun times will be made and jojos beautiful laugh will be heard at the same time Quinn's voice will be heard in my home as well.

*This post is dedicated to the Levi Family in sweet memory of their boy Quinn, may he continue to rest in love and fulfill his hearts desire through his families foundation. Quinn's treasures will be up soon, I can't wait to
Share it!!

5 comments:

  1. Awe.. how sweet colleen. You are an amazing mom. So happy to know you and Jojo's even if its just online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep writing, i think it may just be your "niche". You made me cry and smile in four or five paragraph...Im very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks April. I'm amazed at all the emails I have received from my blog posts. I really just want to help other families and wether that means helping find service in their area or by reading something I wrote. I'm glad you liked it, you should check out the whole blog, it's a lot but its been my life for about a year!!

    ReplyDelete