Thursday, July 10, 2014

Summer swirling along

I seriously cant believe it is already July!! We have done so many cool things and made so many memories the last two months.  Jojo went on his first real vacation, ate at restaurants, went to SeaWorld, and tried lots of new foods.

May was a hard core therapy and preschool readiness month.  We are really trying to get him ready for the structure of school.  He can handle simple task but needs 1:1 assistance.  His language is still prompted one word answers, like "Jojo do you want to go bye bye"? He says uhh yeaaa. Then we will say lets go, can you say go? Then he will say GO.  Or we count up 1,2..he says three.  And he can mimic one word at a time.  He has 16 words he can cleary say but he doesnt know when to say them.  So because of this he is still labeled non-verbal. 

Behavior is greatly improved when he can communicate,whether it be a PECS card, the ipad AAC, or pointing. This is huge, huge like I cant even express how much of a difference it makes!!  He is so proud when he choses something or shows us something.  He rarely has meltdowns and when he does its easily diverted (enter supermom powers) I have become able to calm him.  It may take 5 mins but id take that over a melt down anyday.  I use some basic calming techniques(deep pressure, distraction, or auditory distractions like music or singing)using his indoor swing, and lots of consistent time outs in a safe comfy spot.  To help prevent the spacy moodiness I use essential oils on him everyday.  I love my oils now and swear by em!! He responds well to Serenity, breathe, and lavender oil.  I also use onguard for viral/bacterial infection prevention. 

Therapy is chugging along with some big changes coming up. We have been doing speech, Ot, and Hab/aba for over a year.  We are going to mix it up to benefit Jojos current needs. 
Physical therapy
We are first dropping OT to make room for PT(physical therapy) jojo has missed two wks of OT due to toe and foot problems.  He is a toe walker and despite  trying all the methods to get him on his feet, its just not improving.  The pedi is suggesting AFO braces to support walking properly and to avoid surgery on his calves.  *always something*

IBT=Intensive Behavior Therapy will be starting and will address preschool readiness.  Getting him to follow task, sit for a while, and just cooperation. Its pretty much aba with a twist (: I will be fully involved and doing it all with him, along my baby the whole time.

Music/Art focus on his talents and exploring.  He loves to paint and listen to calm classical music.

Speech will be increased to address his needs. Plus our therapist is so cool she is willing to extend sessions. 

Sunshine soccer, yup my boy is joining a special needs league.  I love it!! Only down fall is it falls on sunday afternoon but thankfully after church.  He will love it and I cant wait to see him run!! Running is his first love, he runs faster and is the most agile kid I know! This is a enclosed environment and SAFE. RUN JOJO RUN!!!

Hab/habm will remain our main supporters, our Jade is like family.  She is great with jojo and all of us.  He points to her picture right at 8am. Even though he fights us through our sessions I know he can feel the love and dedication. Jojo works with Jade and I for at least 20 hours a week.

Geez im excited to get started but always a little bit anxious.  Change is HARD. Jojo adore his siblings and has loved having them home.  I am not going to home school this year, yup All my kiddos are going to public school ( I have homeschooled my two middle ones since kinder) so my heart is about to skip a beat come August 11. I know they will all do great and that the hard work we have done together, at home will shine in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment